The Law of the Tithe was instituted in ancient times. Alma 13:15 records that Abraham paid tithes to Melchizedek. This principle has a number of promised blessings predicated upon obedience, some of which are recorded in Malachi.

Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.” (Malachi 3:10)

Aside from the obvious ones, there are a lot of subtle blessings that obeying the Law of Tithing can open up for us. Elder David A. Bednar has spoken about how they have been blessed because of obedience to this Law. Among other things, the Law of Tithing can be a blessing to us by opening our minds to how we can be better with our finances.

What to do with the 90%

After separating the 10% from our increase, we are left with the rest of the 90%. When we obey the Law of Tithing, we see our increase as portions instead of as a whole. The human mind works better if it can see things in details. Breaking down large things into smaller things can help us see what to do with each part rather than thinking only in terms of large purchases. We realize when 10% has already been given to the Lord, that we are accountable for what we do with what is left. This can help us be more responsible with where our money goes by creating and following a budget. This mentality increases our desire to be better stewards over the blessings the Lord has given. And this does not apply only to those blessings in the form of money but also to our use of our time, health and strength, to name a few.

woman opening door of her business

Doors to opportunities will open to increase your capacity to increase your income.

How to Increase our Increase

As promised by the Lord, when we obey the Law of Tithes He will open the windows of heaven. These windows come in a lot of forms. Employment, business opportunities, investment strategies – these are some of the windows that the Lord opens. Because tithing gives us a better perspective when it comes to money, we now have a higher objective in mind. Our money-making efforts are not only limited to our needs and wants, but they give us a desire to align these efforts with the building of the Lord’s Kingdom here on Earth. This desire to contribute more to the Lord’s work will encourage us to aim for a higher income so we can pay a larger amount in tithing. A higher objective also gives us the power to bridle our passions and to prioritize our needs over our wants. What a blessing it is to think this way! Indeed, the Lord multiplies what we can do, thus increasing what we can earn.

woman talking to other women

Holding on to the Lord’s promise of security increases confidence and efficiency in our efforts to earn.

Be a More Confident Earner

The Lord also promises that He “will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field…” This gives us a sense of security in all our efforts to earn an income. This confidence in the workplace can help us become more efficient in our craft. Isn’t it such a blessing to be able to focus on the tasks at hand because the Lord has promised that He will take care of everything else while we are working? Paying tithes reinforces our sense of obligation and builds responsibility and self-reliance. These qualities are prime requirements in any employment or business.

A Word of Caution

If we pay tithes because we expect to get rich, we are paying tithes for the wrong reason. Although it is true that the Lord will open the windows of heaven, He will do that in His own due time when we need it the most. These blessings are not to fuel our greed but to increase our understanding of the greater purpose of money. The main purpose of tithing is to care for His children and provide means for the Church to further the Lord’s work here on Earth. The blessings that come with that are only secondary to the privilege it affords us to be a contributor to the fulfillment of the Lord’s work and His glory.

It is such a blessing to understand that finance is but a tool. The Law of Tithing helps us avoid the many traps the adversary sets up to make us slaves to the riches of the world. Looking at the big picture, tithing helps us rise up wiser and better in the gaining and management of our finances. What a blessing indeed!